Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Questions

My mind is so full of thoughts that sometimes I just couldn't decided what to write and what not to. Now I started this post to write about writing but then in the middle of it I thought why not start with a post in the lines of 'A question a day...'

So, after final decision, here's the first question..

I think I am into too much writing that I think about it all day. I am writing a book to be published. And the first thing to write a book is to decide about the genre. Now, the other day, I told my mom that you won't be able to read my book. when she asked me Why? I said that it's a horror. The reaction which I got from her actually stunned me. I was confused. She said, that why have you chosen horror. You should have chosen something nice.
The only question that came up in my mind was 'Did I chose the right genre?' I asked my brother about it. He was quiet for sometimes, then he made some chits with lots of different genre written in it and told me to chose one, thinking about the God whom I trust. I, instead of choosing one,  started eliminating the chits one by one. The last chit, which I actually chose was of Horror genre. I looked at him, so he told me that you have chosen the right one.
The question which now comes to my mind is weather one should decide the genre according to our liking or should we go with the genre that is actually selling now a days?

Image Source: Questions

2 comments:

  1. It has a very simple answer. one must choose a genre which he/she likes and can write with delight. you may choose a genre which sells (fr eg iit/iim yawn stories) but would choosing such a genre keep you delighted? Will you be satisfied? The answer is NO. When we enjoy doing something, it shows! If you write horror, and you enjoy writing it, and if you are satisfied, the readers will also see your good work! At the end of the day, your own satisfaction matters more than how much you earn. Sale or getting it published is secondary.
    I WOULD ADVISE YOU TO STOP THINKING ABOUT THIS. BECAUSE GENRE DOESN'T MATTER. ITS A GOOD STORY/PLOT THAT MATTERS. A GOOD PLOT WILL ENTICE EVEN A HORROR-HATER PUBLISHER/READER.
    anuraag

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, I know.. you have told me before. but still this was a question running in my mind.

    ReplyDelete

Have a say!

You might also like...

Related Posts with Thumbnails